Pasta is a traditional and sample food of Italy....They do differ in name according to their shape..Some of the examples are macaroni, shell pasta, bow tie pasta, spring pasta, lasagna etc..It is said that pasta is made with durum wheat flour or any cereal mixed with water or eggs, which is made into different shapes either by machine or by hand....Now a days,there are varieties of pastas available in every supermarkets and malls in most of the countries...Pasta is well loved in most of the world..They do combine it with different sauce or spice according to their region..Pasta is cooked in boiling water with salt and is combined with vegetables or meat gravy or with sauces...Today, I am sharing a recipe of vegetable pasta with bechamel sauce (white sauce)..Bechamel sauce is a French sauce which is made with butter,flour and milk..I used less quantity of white sauce, that's why it is not visible in picture..Bechamel sauce can be poured in lasagna and other savoury dish too..This pasta is tasty and is not spicy..Kids and also adults will love this creamy pasta...This is my own recipe, which is loved by my husband..Do make this pasta and serve it to your family..Lets go the recipe..
- Pasta, any type - 2 cups
- Chopped / Sliced vegetables of your choice - 1 cup ( I used chopped carrot,potato and sliced mushroom)
- Soya chunks - 1/2 cup
- Chopped Garlic - 1 tbsp
- Chopped mixed capsicum ( orange, red and green) - 1/4 cup
- Chopped spring onion whites ( bulb part) - 1 tsp
- Chopped spring onion green ( stem part) - 1 tsp + few for garnishing
- Knor/Maggie Vegetable cube or seasoning - 2 cubes or 1 sacket
- Soya sauce - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano pdr - 1 tsp + few for sprinkling
- Thyme ( Zaatar) - 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper powder - 1 to 2 tsp
- Sugar - a pinch
- Olive oil / Vegetable Oil - 1 tbsp
For Bechamel Sauce ( White sauce)
- Butter - 1 tbsp
- Flour - 3 tbsp
- Milk - 1/2 to 1 cup ( adjust accordingly)
- White Pepper powder - 1 tsp ( optional )
- Soak soya chunks in a warm water for 10 to 15 mins..It will enlarge and become soft while soaking..Squeeze the water from soya chunks and grind it into rough mince consistency...Or you can chop the soya chunks...
- In a vessel, add plenty of water and let it boil..When bubble appears, add salt and a drop of oil...Add pasta and mix well..
- Cook pasta at a high heat for 5 to 7 mins or till it become soft..
- Off the flame and drain the pasta in colander..Add little cold water and shake the colander well..Keep aside..
- In a deep pan, add olive / Vegetable oil and heat it..
- Add garlic and saute for few seconds..Don't turn brown in colour..
- Add spring onion whites and saute for few seconds..
- Add vegetables, soya chunks and chopped capsicum and saute at high flame for 2 to 3 mins..Don't get brown in colour..
- Add 1 tsp spring onion green and saute for few seconds..
- Add soya sauce and saute well..
- Finally add powdered vegetable cubes or seasoning and mix well..
- Add oregano,thyme,pepper pdr and sugar and mix well...
- Add drained pasta and mix well.
- Finally add *white sauce and mix thoroughly..Off the flame..
- Sprinkle little oregano and remaining chopped spring onion green.
- Close the lid for sometime to infuse the favour...
*For White Sauce
- In another pan, heat butter at a very low flame till melted..Take care not to get the butter brown in colour..Otherwise sauce will change colour..
- Add flour and mix thoroughly without any lumps till flour changes light colour..Make sure to saute at a very low flame, otherwise flour will get burnt..
- Add milk and mix thoroughly without any lumps..Can adjust more milk if required..
- Add white pepper and mix well..
- Off the flame and keep aside.
- Instead of vegetables, you can replace it with cooked shredded chicken or beef/ mutton.
- As soya sauce and vegetable cubes contains salt, So I didn't add extra salt..
- Sugar is added to balance salt and flavour of vegetables.