Today, I am sharing a spicy Kerala style curry, Beef curry...I used to make mostly with mutton either in biryani or curry..I rarely make it with beef as my hubby is not so fond of beef..He prefer mutton..As its long since I had beef, so I wished to have and decided to make it...Lots of things comes to my mind,what to make with beef..I even think to make beef roast which I used to make mostly before..I tried making pepper curry with chicken,but didn't try it beef...Finally I decided to make beef with pepper curry version...Its a spicy curry which contains lots of pepper powder,instead of red chilli powder..So adjust spice accordingly..I had it with the combination of pathiri ( rice roti), which tastes awesome..Its very simple to make..Try to make this curry and impress your family..Had it with any combination of your choice like plain rice, chappati, pathiri etc..Lets go to the recipe:
- Beef/Mutton with bone - 500 gm
- Turmeric pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Yogurt - 1 tbsp
- Coconut oil - 1 tbsp + extra for drizzling
- Bay leaf - 1 no.
- Cardamon - 2 no.s
- Cloves - 3 no.s
- Cinnamon stick - 1 small piece, broken
- Shallots,sliced - 8 no.s
- Large Onion, sliced - 2 no.s
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 1/2 tbsp
- Chopped green chillies - 2 no.s
- Chopped tomatoes - 3 no.s
- Turmeric pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Crushed pepper powder - 2 or 3 tbsp ( peppercorns crushed in grinder coarsely)
- Coriander pdr - 1 tbsp
- Garam masala pdr - 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves, chopped - 2 tbsp
- Beef stock - 3 tbsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves,few - for garnishing
- Trim the fat and wash the beef thoroughly and drain in colander..
- In a pressure cooker, add cleaned beef with pinch of turmeric pdr and little water and cook for 1 whistle..After one whistle open the pressure cooker...You can see too much oil that comes from fat of beef..reserve 3 tbsp stock from it, drain and throw remaining stock...If you are using mutton, ignore this step and proceed next step ( marination), as mutton didn't contain too much fat like beef..
- Then marinate the beef with ingredients mentioned in 'To marinate' and keep aside for 15 mins..
- In same pressure cooker, heat coconut oil and add all whole spices mentioned and let it crackle..
- Then add shallots and onions together, sprinkled with salt and saute for few minutes till transparent.
- Then add ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chillies and saute for few seconds..
- Add chopped coriander leaves and saute for few seconds..
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute for few minutes till mushy..
- Add all the spice powders and saute till raw smell goes away..
- Finally add marinated beef and 3 tbsp of stock and mix well...
- Add 1/2 cup of water and pressure cook it for 8 to 10 whistles till soft and cooked ( It depends upon the beef)..
- When the pressure releases, taste and adjust salt and spice...
- Garnish it with curry leaves and drizzle few coconut oil on top..
- Close the lid to infuse the flavour for few minutes..
- Serve warm with any combination of choice like ghee rice, chappati, pathiri etc...
- Instead of beef/ mutton, you can replace it with chicken..
- Vegetarians/vegans can make it with any vegetables of your choice...