There are many varieties of chutneys,each one has their own way of making chutneys..In South India, most of the chutneys are made with coconut..Today, I am sharing a chutney without coconut i.e Tomato garlic chutney..This chutney used lots of garlic,which gives nice taste..Tomato and garlic are sauted in oil and then blended into paste..Sauting is done to avoid the raw taste of garlic and tomatoes..I had this chutney with the combination of Oats - Rava Idli , which I shared yesterday..Instead of making usual coconut based chutneys, do try this chutney and impress your family..Its a excellent combination for dosa and idli ...Lets go to the recipe..
Recipe Source - Umma
To Saute and grind:
- Oil - 1 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chillies - 2 to 3 no.s,broken into halves and stem removed ( depends upon your spice level)
- Garlic pods, large - 9 to 10 no.s
- Shallots - 3 to 4 no.s
- Tomato,sliced - 1 large or 2 medium
- Red chilli pdr - 1/2 tsp ( depends upon your spice level)
- Turmeric pdr - a pinch
- Salt - to taste
- Tamarind pulp / Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1tsp
- Urad dal - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- In a pan, heat oil and add cumin,coriander seeds and dry red chillies and saute for few seconds..
- Add whole garlic pods and saute till light brown.This is done to avoid raw smell of garlic,while making chutney..
- Add shallots and saute till translucent..
- Add turmeric and red chilli powder and saute till raw smell goes away..
- Add sliced tomatoes and saute for few mins..
- Off the flame and set aside to cool..
- When it cools down, add this sauted ingredients in a grinder with tamarind pulp/lemon juice and salt, make into smooth paste without adding water..
- Transfer it into serving bowl..
- In same pan, heat oil and add all the ingredients mentioned in ' To splutter' and off the flame..
- Serve warm with the combination of dosa and idli...
- You can make this chutney without sauting in oil too..But, its better to saute the ingredients, as most of them don't like the raw taste of garlic and tomato...
- Can add little shredded coconut while grinding this chutney, if you wish or if you have more members in your family..
- You can add more dry red chillies instead of chilli powder..Adjust it according to your spice level.