Today, I am sharing a post of biryani of my hometown, Kannur..Earlier I shared some malabar versions of biryani like Vegetable Biryani and Mutton Biryani..I rarely make fish biryani as I am not so fond of fish..My hubby is a great fish lover..He is happy when I made this biryani..I made this biryani about 3 to 4 weeks before on friday..Every friday,my BILs ( Bro-in-law) mostly come for lunch at my home..They too love this biryani..I used King Fish ( Ayakoora/ Neymeen) in making this biryani ..You can use any fish of your choice..But make sure fish should be large and thick one..I served this biryani with the combination of Mango chutney( dry), which I will include the recipe at later post...Those who are a fish lover will definitely love it..Do make this biryani and impress your family..Off to the recipe :)
Recipe Source : My mom
- King Fish / Any other large and thick fish - 1 kg
- Kashmiri Chilli powder / Black pepper pdr - 1 tsp
- Turmeric pdr - a pinch
- Coriander pdr - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala pdr - a pinch
- Salt - adjust accordingly
- Vinegar / Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Large Onion, thinly sliced - 5 no.s
- Large tomatoes, chopped - 3 no.s
- Ginger-garlic paste - 2 tbsp
- Crushed large green chillies - 7 to 8 no.s ( depends upon your spice level)
- Chopped coriander leaves - 1 cup ( reserve half for garnishing)
- Chopped mint leaves - 1/2 cup ( reserve few 1/4 for garnishing)
- Turmeric pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala pdr - 1 tsp + few for sprinkling
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
For ghee rice:
- Basmati rice / Jeerakashala rice - 6 cups
- Bay leaf - 1 no.
- Cardamon - 3 no.s
- Cloves - 4 no.s
- Cinnamon stick - 1'' broken into half
- Boiling hot water - 9 1/3 cups ( l cup of rice = 1 3/4 cups of water)
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Large Onion,thinly sliced - 1
- Cashewnuts - 7 to 8 no.s
- Raisins - 5 to 6 no.s
- Marinate the fish for 15 mins and shallow fry the fish till golden brown on both sides..Keep aside..
- Another wide non-stick pan, add previously fried fish oil ( if having) and few tsp of oil and heat it..Add sliced onions. sprinkled with salt and saute for few minutes till transparent..
- Add ginger-garlic paste and crushed green chillies and saute for few seconds..
- Add half of chopped coriander and mint leaves and tomato and saute till mushy..
- Add turmeric and garam masala powder and saute till raw smell goes away..
- Take small piece of previously fried fish and shred it with hands..Mix this in masala and saute well..This is added, so that masala will get fish flavour..
- Add lemon juice, mix well and close the lid and cook for 5 to 7 mins or pressure cook the masala for 3 whisles by adding little water..Don't add fish while cooking masala, else it will break..
- Off the flame..Adjust the salt and add fried fish on top of it..Keep aside..
Making of Ghee rice:
- Soak basmati rice in water for 30 mins. If using jeerakashala rice,ignore this step.Wash the rice thoroughly with 2 to 3 couplets of water,drain rice in the colander and keep aside.
- Add ghee + oil in another large wide non-stick vessel, add cashew nuts and raisins and fry till golden brown..Drain and keep aside...
- Add one large sliced onion and fry till golden brown..Drain and keep aside..
- In same oil, add all whole spices and fry for few seconds..
- Meanwhile boil water in kettle or gas stove..
- Add drained jeerakashala rice and fry for 5 mins till rice lightly changes colour..If using basmati rice, no frying required..
- Add boiling hot water, salt and lemon juice into rice and mix well..
- Close the lid and cook for high heat at 3 mins, then reduce the flame to medium and cook for 7 mins till water evaporates..
- Immediately, reduce the flame to lowest, turn the rice with large spoon and cook for 5 mins..Off the flame.
- Transfer the rice into another wide bowl and keep aside..
- Divide the rice and masala into two parts.
- Take out the fish slices from masala and keep aside.
- In same wide vessel ( used for cooking ghee rice), spread one part of fish masala ( don't add fish at this stage) at bottom and level it at the back of large spoon.
- Add one part of ghee rice on top of fish masala and level it with large spoon..Sprinkle little garam masala and coriander - mint leaves sparingly..
- Add remaining masala on top of rice sparingly and level it..Top it with remaining ghee rice and level it..Sprinkling garam masala and coriander - mint leaves sparingly on top of rice..
- Sprinkle fried cashews, raisins and caramalised onion on top of it..
- Close the lid and cook it at a very low flame for 30 mins and off the flame..
- Take rice from bottom to top and serve it on a large plate..
- Add fried fish on top of the rice and serve hot.
- Serve it with the combination of chutneys of your choice..