Monday, July 14, 2014

Kadala kums/ Kadala Pola - Split Bengal Gram / Chana dal / Kadala parippu cake


Earlier I shared the recipe of sweet malabar cake like apple pola and kayi pola...Its method is same as I mentioned in previous polas...Today, I am sharing a recipe of kadala pola/ kadala kums i.e split bengal gram ( chana dal) cake..Its a healthy cake which is made of lentils and eggs,which is slow cooked in pan instead of baking in oven...Its good for kids who don't eat lentils and eggs..My son who don't eat lentils, love this cake very much..My parents too love this cake too..Its not common in my area,but its common in my hubby's area..My SIL makes this pola often..I love her version too..I got this recipe from my cookbook,but altered the ingredients slightly according to my taste..My SIL make this in sponge cake version,she increased the quantity of flour instead of increasing milk..I add mixed version of both flour,milk powder and milk..Its a easy recipe to make and tastes delicious...Do make it for your kids and family..Lets go to the recipe.






     Ingredients
  • Chana dal / Kadala paripp - 150 gm
  • Eggs - 3 large or 4 small no.s
  • Milk powder - 3 tbsp
  • All purpose flour ( maida) - 2 tbsp
  • Milk - 2 tbsp
  • Sugar - 8 to 10 tbsp ( I used 7 tbsp and its less sweet for me)
  • Green cardamon - 2 no.s
  • Salt - a pinch
  • Ghee - 1 1/2 tsp
  • Chopped cashew nuts / raisins for decorating - optional

     Method
  • Soak chana dal in a water for 6 hrs or soak overnight..Wash the dal with few couplets of water.. Pressure cook the dal for 2 whistles..If dal is not soaked, pressure cook for more than 6 whistles till cooked...Drain in the colander and keep aside to cool...

Image source: Internet
  • In a mixi or blender, grind the cooked chana dal with little milk into smooth paste...Add whole cardamon, milk powder and flour and blend it thoroughly...Keep aside..

  • In a bowl, add eggs and beat the eggs with salt by using electric hand beater at high speed till creamy..Add sugar and beat again till it reach double in volume..You can use whisk or you can blend in mixi too,together with cooked dal paste...( I beat the eggs seperately,as I want the pola to be fluffy)..

  • Add cooked chana dal paste and fold slowly till it mixed well...If the batter is too thick, add 1 tbsp milk and mix well...Add chopped cashew nuts and raisins and mix well ( optional )
  • Heat a fry pan or sauce pan, add ghee and swirl the pan from all sides..You can grease the pan with tissue paper too...
  • Pour  chana dal - egg batter into the pan..Close the lid and cook at a very slow flame for 30 to 35 mins till fork or knife inserted in the centre comes out clean..You can place tawa under the pan to avoid getting burnt at bottom..
  • Off the flame and flip it over the plate..
  • Serve warm with a cup of tea or coffee..





Similar Recipes


 


kayi pola                                                                  Apple pola










No comments:

Post a Comment