Earlier, I shared some of the oats items like Oats Upma,Oats Puttu and Oats-Rava Idli...Today,I am sharing a easy,healthy and tasty oats soup..Additional to it, chicken and veggies are added which makes oats soup more tasty..It tastes reminds me of hyderabadi haleem,which used mashed whole wheat,meat and spices...Its is a refreshing soup,which can be served for iftar (breaking the fast) as well as suhoor ( Pre-dawn meal)..We love this soup very much..Do make this soup..I am sure, everyone in your family will love it...Lets go to the recipe :)
Recipe inspired from here,but slightly altered according to my taste :)
For Marinating Chicken:
- Chicken Breast - 200 gm
- Red chilli pdr - 1/2 tsp
- Pepper pdr - 1 tsp
- Garam masala pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric pdr - a pinch
- Salt - adjust accordinly
For Oats masala:
- Instant oats ( like Quaker) / Rolled oats - 1 1/2 cups
- Small onion,chopped - 1 no. ( or half of one large onion).
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Chopped green chillies - 2 no.s
- Any veggies of your choice, I used : ( Can use frozen veggies too)
Finely chopped beans - 2 tbsp
Frozen green peas - 3 tbsp ( can use freshly cooked green peas too).
- Chopped coriander leaves - 11/2 tbsp
- Pepper pdr - 1 tsp
- Turmeric pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala pdr - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Water - 3 cups
- Thick coconut milk - 1/2 cup ( or you can use 5 to 6 tbsp of coconut pdr mixed in warm water)
- Caramalised (fried) onion - few ( optional)
- Salt - to taste
- Ghee / Butter - 1 tsp
For Cooking Chicken:
- Marinate chicken as mentioned in 'For marinate' and keep aside for 10 mins..
- Add marinated chicken in a pan by adding little water..Close the lid and cook for some time..
- After few minutes, turn the chicken pieces and cook till water dries out completely and both sides are brown ..
- Off the flame and set aside to cool..When it cools down, shred into pieces and set aside...
For Cooking Oats:
- In a non-stick medium wide vessel,heat 1 tbsp of oil and add chopped onion and saute till pink..
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till raw smell goes away..
- Add vegetables and saute at a high heat for 2 mins stirring occasionally..Make sure to use finely chopped veggies,otherwise its difficult to cook...Ignore this step,if using frozen veggies..Just saute it for few seconds,as it is already cooked...
- Add chopped coriander leaves and saute well..
- Add all the spice powders mentioned and saute till raw smell goes away...
- Add instant oats and mix well...If using rolled oats, just grind it coarsely ( not fine pdr) at one second...
- Add lemon juice and salt and mix well..
- Add water, close the lid and cook oats at medium-low flame for 3 minutes..Don't cook it at high flame, as oats may stuck bottom of the pan and form lumps...
- Add thick coconut milk,stir well and cook for few seconds..
- Taste it and add salt and pepper if required...
- Off the flame,add fried onions ( optional) and add a blob of ghee/butter on top..
- Serve warm....
- Vegetarians can ignore chicken..
- Oats soup tends to become thick when it cools down..Don't worry, just add little water and warm again at the time of serving...
- It tastes more delicious when served warm...