Earlier, I shared some of the malabar sweet version of pola like apple pola, kayi pola and kadala pola..Today, I am sharing a savoury version of pola i.e Erachi pola - Meat masala layered cake..I used left over cooked beef,which I combined to make masala..You can also make it with chicken or mutton.. It is done by layering of bread-egg batter and meat masala,which is definitely a slow cooked one...I made this yesterday and my family loved this very much..Instead of savoury, you can make sweet fillings too.. Its very easy to prepare ..It tasted delicious and can be served for iftar..Do try this snack and impress your family..Off to the recipe :)
- Brown/White Bread - 8 pieces ( remove brown crust on all sides)
- Small Eggs - 4 no.s
- Milk - 1 cup
- Pepper pdr - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - adjust accordingly
- Cooked Beef / Mutton / Chicken, shredded - 1 cup ( pressure cooked with red chilli pdr, pepper pdr, garam masala pdr, turmeric pdr and salt).
- Onion,chopped - 2 small.
- Ginger - garlic paste - 1 1/2 tsp
- Chopped green chillies - 2 no.
- Chopped capsicum - 4 tbsp ( optional)
- Chopped coriander leaves - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric pdr - a pinch
- Garam masala pdr - 1 tsp
- Pepper pdr - 1 tsp
- Chopped curry leaves - 2 to 3 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- In a blender, add all the ingredients mentioned in ' For Batter' and blend into smooth-thick batter..Keep aside.
- In a fry pan, heat l tbsp of oil, add chopped onions sprinkled with salt and saute till light pink..
- Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chillies and saute for few seconds till raw smell goes away.
- Add capsicum and chopped coriander leaves and saute well..
- Add all the spice powders and saute till raw smell goes away..
- Finally add cooked shredded beef and saute well..
- Add chopped curry leaves and mix well..
- Taste and adjust salt and spices..
- Close the lid and cook at low flame for 3 minutes to infuse the flavour...
- Off the flame and set aside..
For assembling Pola:
- Heat a non-stick medium wide sized pan, add 1 tsp ghee and swirl or greese the pan on all sides of pan..Turn the flame into lowest..
- Pour half bread-egg batter and swirl the pan immediately..Close the lid and cook for few seconds..
- Spread meat masala in a circular motion and close the lid and cook for few seconds..
- Open the lid and pour remaining batter on all sides..
- Close the lid and cook for 30-35 minutes at a very low slow flame ( That's very important) till sides and bottom are brown in colour i.e when you touch on top, it should spring back...
- You can also place tawa under the pan, to prevent burning on bottom..
- Close the flame and flip it on large plate...
- When it slightly cools, cut it into wedges..
- Serve warm with the cup of tea or coffee..