Kadala Pola ( Split Bengal Gram Egg Cake)
Kayi Pola - Fried Plantain Egg Cake
- Carrot - 2 large no.s
- Eggs - 3 large no.s or 4 small no.s
- Milk powder - 5 tbsp
- Cardamom - 2 no.s
- Sugar - 4 to 5 tbsp
- Salt - a pinch ( to balance the sweetness)
- All purpose flour - 1 tsp ( optional)
- Milk - 1 tbsp
- Cashews, almonds or raisins - a few for decorating
- Ghee - 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp
- In a pressure cooker,cook the carrot till done..Remove the carrot and set aside to cool completely..
- In a blender, add pureed carrot and rest of the ingredients mentioned..Blend at medium to high speed till combined..
- Warm a non-stick small sauce pan or fry pan, add ghee and allow to melt in a medium flame, add nuts and fry till light brown..Drain and keep aside..
- In a same pan,rotate the remaining ghee in a circular motion or grease that ghee with a tissue paper on all sides..
- Add the blended carrot egg puree in a sauce pan,turn the heat in a low flame and close the lid..Its better to place tawa under sauce pan, to prevent burning at bottom..
- When its half cooked,for about 5 mins, add ghee roasted nuts on top..
- Close the lid and cook for 15 to 20 mins till knife insert into the center comes out clean, also it should brown on sides and bottom..Off the flame..Flip the pola by using plate..
- Heat 1/2 tsp ghee in another fry pan, rotate and cook other side ( top part,which is decorated with nuts) and cook at medium flame for 3 to 4 mins till brown..[ This step is optional,but I like to have other part cook too]..
- Off the flame..Flip the pola into plate and set aside to cool..
- Cut it into desired shapes and serve it hot or chilled..I like to have my pola chilled :)
- Serve it with a cup of tea or coffee for snack or Iftar..
- The quantity I mentioned is enough for my family..If you cook more than 2 carrot, do increase the quantity of other ingredients as well..
- I cooked the pola in a small sauce pan, so it got the shape of a round cake..
- No other rising agent like baking soda is added, as egg itself will rise when cooking..
- In place of cardamom powder, vanilla essence can also be added..But its taste will be slightly different and traditionally it is not added.