Normally, Cutlets are made with mashed potatoes which is combined with meat or vegetable masala that is shaped into patties,dipped in egg batter, coated with bread crumbs and deep fried with oil..Today, I am sharing a recipe of bread cutlet... Instead of mashed potatoes, bread is used, which is shaped either in round or cylindrical shape...If you have leftover bread or if you have large quantities of bread, do make this snack....Its method is similar that I shared in crispy chicken cheese balls earlier...Whenever, I make this snack, its always a hit among my family..You can make these in large quantities and can be kept in freezer..Thaw it before deep frying .. You can make your own masala for this...Its a easy and delicious snack which can be served for iftar...Do try this yummy snack and impress your family...Lets go to the recipe :)
Recipe Courtesy: Umma
- Shredded chicken,cooked - 1 cup ( chicken cooked with pepper pdr,turmeric pdr and salt, de-bonned and shredded)
- Onion,finely chopped - 1 large
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Green chilly,chopped - 1 or 2 no.s
- Turmeric pdr - a pinch
- Pepper pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves,chopped - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves,chopped - 1 tsp
- Egg white - 1
- All purpose flour ( maida) - 1 heaped tsp
- Bread slices - 10 to 12 no.s
- 2 bread slice + 1 handful of cornflakes - ground into fine or coarse powder (Or you can use bread crumbs itself )
Making of Chicken masala:
- Heat a fry pan,add onion and saute till pink.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and green chillies and saute for few seconds.
- Add all the spice powders and saute till raw smell goes away.
- Add salt ( adjust accordingly as cooked chicken contains salt) and coriander leaves and saute well.
- Add cooked shredded chicken and saute for 5 mins.
- Finally add chopped curry leaves and saute for few seconds. Off the flame and keep aside to cool.
For outer crust and dipping:
- Remove the crust(brown side) of the bread and keep aside.For easy removing of the crust, place 4 to 5 breads on top of each other,press the breads and cut the brown edges with knife. Repeat with other slices and keep aside.
- In a small bowl, make a paste of egg white and all purpose flour thoroughly with little water and keep aside.
- Place grounded bread and cornflakes in a plate and keep it ready.
- Divide the chicken masala according to the number of bread slices.
- Place little water in a bowl, soak one slice of bread in a water for half second and take out immediately...Don't soak it too long,otherwise bread will break..( you should make this process faster).
- Place soaked bread in your palm and press it with your other palm and drain out the water completely. This process is done in order to keep the bread soft.
- Place one tsp of chicken filling ( it depends upon the slice of bread i.e if using large slice bread add 2 tsp of filling and if using small size bread, use 1 tsp of filling)..
- Close the edges from side to top and make it into ball or cylindrical shape.. Don't overcrowd the feeling as it may break while deep frying..
- Repeat the steps till all bread and masala is used up.
- Dip each of the bread cutlet with egg - maida ( all purpose flour) mixture and roll the balls completely in bread-cornflakes powder.
- In a deep pan, heat generous amount of oil at medium heat. When it turns hot,add all the balls one by one and deep fry these till both sides are golden brown in colour.
- Take out and drain the balls. Place these on paper kitchen towel.
- Serve warm..It tastes better when hot..When you bite it, it gives crunchy taste.
- Serve it with a tomato ketchup or serve as it is..Have it with a cup of tea or coffee.
- Instead of chicken, you can substitute with soya chunks or vegetables or you can make it with sweet filling too like coconut and dates...
- You can make your own filling and play with the spices of your choice.
- Leftover or you can make large quantities of balls and keep it in freezer. Thaw for 1 hr before deep frying it.