Today, I am posting a recipe of delicious vegetable curry, i.e Vegetable Green Kurma..Its a mild spicy curry..Generous amount of mint and coriander leaves is grinded with little coconut and yogurt and is added to the curry which gives the curry a greenish one..Earlier, I shared the recipe of Green Chicken Fry.Its a delicious vegetable curry, which goes well with the combination of chappati, Appam ( Laced rice crepes), Batoora ( deep fried bread), plain rice etc..Do try this curry and I am sure everyone in your house will love this creamy curry..Lets go to the recipe.
To roast and grind:
- Cinnamon stick - a small pc
- Cloves - 2 no.
- Coriander seeds - 1 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Pepper corns - 1/2 tsp
- Large Onion,sliced - 2 no.s
- Garlic,chopped - 6 to 7 pods
- Ginger,chopped - a small piece
- Tomato,sliced - 1
- Turmeric pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Any vegetables of your choice, chopped - 1 to 1 1/2 cup ( I used Green peas,beans, carrot, potato,capsicum and mushroom)
- Water - 1 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Coriander leaves,chopped - 1 cup
- Mint leaves, chopped - 1/2 cup
- Coconut shredded - 1/3 cup
- Green Chillies, chopped - 4 to 5 no.s ( depends upon your spice level)
- Thick Yogurt - 2 tbsp
- In a pan, add little oil and fry all the whole spices mentioned in ' To roast and grind' till crackles..Drain and set aside to cool..Grind the roasted spices along with chopped ginger and garlic and make into a paste ( doesn't matter if it leaves tiny bits of whole spices). Keep aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker, add oil and add sliced onions,sprinkled with salt and saute till transparent..
- Add grinded ginger-garlic-spice paste into it and saute for few seconds till raw smell goes away..
- Add tomato and saute till mushy.
- Add turmeric pdr and saute for few minutes till raw smell goes away..
- Add vegetables and mix very well..
- Add 1 cup of water,mix it and close the lid of pressure cooker. Pressure cook at high heat for 1 whistle.Don't cook more than 1 whistle, otherwise vegetables will get mashed..
- Off the flame. Wait till pressure releases.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, add the ingredients mentioned in 'For Green paste' and grind into smooth paste..
- Open the lid of pressure cooker and add grounded green paste into it and mix well.
- Adjust salt...ON the flame and cook at medium flame,when it comes one boil, off the flame..
- Garnish it with chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Serve hot with any combination of your choice like chappati, poori, batoora, appam, dosa etc.
- Can add 1 tsp rice flour/corn flour if the gravy becomes too thin..
- Can add tiny bit pieces of chicken breast along with vegetables as needed.
- Instead of vegetables, you can replace it with chicken breast..First marinate the chicken with turmeric, pepper pdr and salt and shallow fry it..Then proceed with the above mentioned ingredient.
- Instead of pressure cooking vegetables, you can cook it with normal pan too..I pressure cook the vegetables so it saves lot of time for me..
- If your using frozen vegetables no need to pressure cook, just combine with grinded ingredients..
- If your using fresh green peas, always pressure cook green peas seperately. Cook for about 3 whistles..As green peas takes time to cook, better don't pressure cook with other vegetables..
- If using cauliflower or broccoli, don't pressure cook it..Boil these in seperate pan with lots of water, with pinch of salt,cook for about 2 to 3 minutes till tender..Don't overcook it..