Puttu is a traditional breakfast menu which is steamed in Puttu kutti ( cylindrical wide tube which is fitted with vessel containing water) or cheratta mold ( coconut shell / coconut husk vessel)..Now a days puttu kutti or cheratta putt mold can be fitted on top of pressure cooker, which makes it cook faster..Puttu powder is moistened with little water into crumb consistency, which is poured in puttu kutti and layered with grated coconut at bottom,middle and top and steam cooked..Most of the puttu is made with roasted rice or rava ( semolina) powder..Now- a-days puttu can be made with wheat, ragi ( finger millet)and corn puttu powder etc which are easily available in most of the Super Markets..Mostly, puttu is served with the combination of banana, kadala curry ( black or white chick peas curry) or any spicy curry..Earlier I shared the recipe of Oats - Rava Idli.. Today, I am posting a recipe of Oats puttu...Its definitely a healthy puttu, which is easy to make and cooks in a few minutes..I saw this in one of the cookery show in malayalam..I didn't have second thought, I made this for next day's breakfast..All the ingredients mentioned is ,of course, there in my pantry..My hubby love this steaming oats puttu very much..This oats puttu is steamed in Cheratta putt ( coconut husk shaped mold), which is layered with coconut and vegetables- shredded chicken..No curry is required for that..It tastes delicious when served warm..Do make this puttu as a change from making usual puttu...Do try it and impress your household.
Recipe Source : Cookery Show
- Instant Oats - 1 cup ( I used Quaker oats)
- Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
- Shredded cooked chicken - 1 cup ( cooked with turmeric, salt and pepper pdr)
- Grated carrot - 1/2 cup
- Very finely chopped beans - 1/2 cup
- Very finely chopped onion - 1 small
- Crushed garlic -ginger - 1 tsp
- Chopped curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Water - 2 to 3 tbsp
- In a bowl, add oats with little salt and mix well..Add water little by little and make into crumb consistency..Don't add too much water..Take care, there should not be lumps..If there is lumps, don't worry..Do grind the oats in a grinder coarsely..If you are using rolled oats, ignore grinding it. Keep aside..
- In another bowl, mix ingredients ingredients from 'shredded chkn' till 'salt' and mix thoroughly and keep aside..
- Meanwhile, fill water in a pressure cooker, close the lid and boil for sometimes..
- Take a cheratta puttu mold ( coconut husk shaped mold), add round slotted holes as shown in picture..
- Add 1 tbsp coconut grated on bottom..Then add little chicken- veg mixture on top of grated coconut and finally add half to one handful of grounded or rolled oats on top of it..Add little coconut shredded on top of it..
- When the steam comes out of pressure cooker, add cheratta mold on top of it..
- Cook for 5 to 6 mins till steam comes out through the holes of cheratta putt mold..
- Demold the putt on plate as shown in picture above.
- Repeat the steps when all the oats and grated chicken -veg mixture is used up..
- Serve warm..Make sure to eat oats puttu when warm, otherwise it will dry when cold..
- You can serve this oats puttu either as breakfast or dinner..
- Instead of savoury layering, you can layer it with sweet filling too, like dates, plantain (Nentra pazham) mixed with coconut and cardamon powder etc etc
- You can also make oats just by layering it with coconut shredded filling only like normal puttu..You can also serve it with curry of your choice.
- As veg and chicken is used for layering, so no need of curry.
- You can add leftover chicken or veg dry masala as layering...
- Vegetarians can avoid chicken...