- Peppercorns ( muzhuvan kurumulak) - 1/2 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies - 6 to 7 no.s (depends upon your spice level)
- Cumin seeds ( Sada jeerakam) - 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds ( Perumjeerakam) - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander seeds ( Muzhuvan malli ) - 2 tbsp
- Kasuri Methi pdr ( dry fenugreek leaves ) - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken ( cut into small pcs ) - 500 gm
- Large Onions, chopped - 1
- Ginger- Garlic paste - 1 1/2 tbsp
- Capsicum,cubed - 1
- Tomato puree - 1/2 cup ( make a paste of 1 large tomato)
- Almonds or Cashewnuts - 10 no.s ( optional )
- Turmeric pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli pdr - 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves,chopped - 1/2 bundle
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Heat a kadai or fry pan, roast all the ingredients mentioned in ' to roast ' and set aside to cool. When it cools down, grind the spices into coarse powder.
- Soak cashews/almonds in a hot water for 10 to 15 mins..First grind the nuts into powder,then add soaked water and make into paste.
- In a same kadai heat some oil, stir fry the capsicum for few mins and keep aside.
- Add chopped onions in the same work ,add salt and saute till translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till raw smell disappears.
- Add tomato puree and saute for 5 mins till the oil seperates from the wok.
- Add turmeric powder and kashmiri chilli powder and saute well till raw smell goes away.
- Add half of ground roast spices and saute it.
- Add cleaned chicken pieces and mix well.
- Then add remaining ground spices and almond/cashew paste and mix well.
- Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water, mix well,close the lid and cook for 15 to 20 mins.
- Add capsicum,mix well and cook for high heat at 5 mins with lid closed.
- Open the lid,taste and adjust salt.
- Off the flame.Sprinkle little kasoori methi powder and chopped coriander.
- Serve warm with kadai itself..Its a excellent combination for ghee rice, chappati, poori, naans, dosas etc.