Today, I am posting a Kerala seafood recipe,Koontal Varatiyat i.e Squid prepared in Spicy Red Gravy..Its a simple recipe which can be prepared in a few minutes..If you are a squid lover like me, definitely you will love this dish...I prefer squid in gravy form..Its tastes delicious... Its a great side dish for plain rice, chappatis etc..Lets move to the recipe.
- Squid - 3 to 4 no.s
- Large onions, sliced - 2
- Large tomato, sliced - 1
- Green chilly,chopped - 1 or 2 no.s
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric pdr - a pinch
- Coriander pdr - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Kashmiri chilli pdr - 3 to 4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Coconut oil/ any oil - 2 tsp
- Clean the squid inside and outside, discard the intestine and skin and cut into medium or round pieces. Wash it with couplets of water. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pressure cooker, add sliced onions with salt and saute till translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chilly and saute for few seconds.
- Add sliced tomato and saute till mushy.
- Add all the spice powders and saute well till raw smell goes away.
- Add cleaned squid into it and mix well..
- Add quarter cup of water and close the lid of pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook for 6 to 7 whistles till squid cooks.
- When the pressure subsides, open the lid and cook at high flame for 3 mins till gravy reaches semi-thick consistency. If you prefer more gravy, ignore this step.
- Off the flame. Add curry leaves and a few drops of coconut oil and close the lid to infuse the flavour for few mins.
- Serve warm as a side dish with plain rice, chappati etc.
- Always use fresh squid as it tastes better..
- You can substitute it fish,prawns,chicken,etc..