Today, I am sharing a Kerala style curry i.e Coconut Dal Curry with mashed yellow pumpkin (mathan) and Jackfruit Seeds ( Chakka kuru)..It can be called as Malabar Vegetable Curry..In our area, we used to combine different vegetables with dal curry like raw plantain ( pacha nentrakaaya), Snake guard ( padavalanga), Ash guord ( vellari), Ridge guord ( peechinga / tallolam), drumstick (muringaka) , muringa ila ( drumstick leaves) etc..we used to make this curry without adding veggies too..Its a easy curry to make.Perfect combination for plain rice, ghee rice, chappati, pathiri etc..Lets move to the recipe.
For dal ( lentils) curry:
- Red masoor dal ( chuvanna paripp) / Bengal Dal ( kadala paripp) - 1 cup
- Yellow pumpkin,diced ( mathan) - 1/2 cup
- Jackfruit seeds ( chakka kuru) - 10 to 15 no.s
- Onion,sliced - 1 large or 2 medium
- Tomato,sliced - 1 small or half of 1 large tomato
- Chopped garlic - 3 to 4 large pods
- Chopped ginger - a small pc
- Green chillies - 2 no.s, slit halves
- Turmeric pdr - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli pdr - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
For Coconut paste:
- Coconut shredded - 1/4 cup
- Shallots ( Pearl Onion) - 2 to 3 no.s
- Fennel seeds ( perunjeerakam) - 1/4 tsp
- Coconut oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Shallots (pearl onion), sliced - 3 to 4 no.s ( optional)
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Dry red chillies - 2 no.s broken into halves ( optional)
- Remove outer skin ( white skin) of jackfruit seeds and soak in water for 5 to 10 mins..Soaking is done to peel the inner skin ( brown skin) of jackfruit seeds easier..Peel the brown skin of jackfruit slightly with knife i.e it should leave few traces of brown skin here and there and keep aside
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil, add sliced onion and saute till pink.
- Add chopped garlic,ginger and green chilly and saute for few seconds.
- Add sliced tomato and saute for few minutes.
- Add turmeric,chilli pdr and salt and saute till raw smell goes away.
- Add washed dal ( no need to soak dal in water),jackfruit seeds and diced pumpkin and mix well..
- Add one and half of water,mix well and pressure cook for about 5 to 6 whistles.
- Grind coconut paste with little water as mentioned in 'For coconut paste' and keep aside.
- When the pressure subsides, slightly mash the pumpkin and add coconut paste and mix well.
- On the flame, cook till when it comes one boil, off the flame..Don't cook for too long, otherwise coconut will curdle..Can adjust the salt, if needed.
- In another pan, heat coconut oil and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters completely,immediately lower the flame, add shallots ( if using) and saute till pink.
- Add curry leaves and dry red chillies and saute for few seconds.
- Off the flame and pour these immediately into coconut dal- veg curry and close the lid to infuse flavour.
- Serve warm with the combination of plain rice, chappati , ghee rice etc..
- You can pressure cook or boil dal seperately, if you don't prefer mashed dal..But I prefer the dal to be slightly mashed..
- You can pressure cook,jack fruit - pumpkin seperately and combined it with cooked dal in another pan ( I dumped all the ingredients in pressure cooker in order to save my time).
- You can add any vegetables of your choice or you can make it plain, without adding veggies too.
- If your adding drumstick (muringa kai),saute it in a pan with little oil and dump in pressure cooker to avoid breaking it..Pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- If you are adding other veggies like ridge guord, bottle guord etc..pressure cook at high flame for 1 whistle.
- If you are using cheera ( spinach ) or muringa ila ( drumstick leaves), add last after pressure cooked or pan cooked dal curry and close the lid for few minutes..