Adas or steamed rice dumplings is a Malabar ( Northern Kerala) cuisine. There are many types of adas like fish, mussels, chicken etc. Normally adas are made with rice flour which is stuffed with meat or fish masala which is crescent or cylinder shape and steamed. Now I am sharing a prawns adas with a twist. This Adas are steamed and then marinated with spicy coating and shallow fried...It may involve lots of steps..Prepare prawns masala and rice dough earlier,so its easy for you to prepare adas..It tastes yummy,when served warm..Serve it with tea or coffee.
1) For the dough:
a) Par boiled rice (puzhagalari)- 1 medium Glass
b) Rice powder - 4 to 5 tbsp or enough for binding the dough
c) Salt - to taste
d) Boiled water - to soak the rice
2) To Grind:
a) Grated Coconut - 1/4 cup
b) Fenugreek seed - 1 tsp
a) Prawns/button shrimps(cleaned and deveined) - 500 gm
b)Red chilli/ kashmiri chilli pdr- 1&1/2 tsp
c)Turmeric pdr - 1/4 ts
d)Salt - to taste
4) For Prawns masala:
Onions chopped - 2 medium size
Ginger-Garlic paste - 2 tsp
Green chilly chopped - l or 2 no.s
turmeric pdr - 1/4 tsp
red chilli/ kashmiri chilli pdr - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala pdr - 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves chopped - 1 tbsp
Curry leaves chopped - few
Coconut grated - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
5) For Coating of Dough:
a) red chilli/Kashmiri pdr - 2 to 3 tbsp
b) Turmeric pdr - 1/4 tsp
c) Salt - required
Preparation of prawn masala
Preparation of prawn masala
- Marinate the prawns as mentioned and keep aside for 10 mins.
- Heat a pan and pour some oil and shallow fry the prawns in batches at medium flame for about 4 to 5 mins turning each side till light brown.
- Drain and keep on kitchen towel.When cools down,cut the prawns in pieces.
- If using button shrimps,omit the cutting part. I used prawns, as button shrimps is not available in UAE and some other countries.Button shrimp tastes better.
- In the same pan ( used for frying shrimps), add chopped onions and salt and saute till translucent.
- Add ginger- garlic paste,chopped green chillies, turmeric pdr, chilli pdr and garam masala pdr and saute till raw smell disappears.
- Add Chopped coriander and saute again.
- Then add prawns and saute well.Finally add grated coconut and chopped curry leaves and saute again.
- Taste it,adjust the salt and spice according to your like.Cover and let it cook for 3 or 4 min at low flame. Off the flame and keep aside.
Making of rice dough
- Soak the par-boiled rice in a boiled water for 2 to 3 hrs. Boiled water is must,other wise it is difficult to grind.
- Grind the par-boiled rice with 1&1/2 cup water in a mixer.
- Pour this blended rice mixture to the bowl, add salt.
- Then add the "grinded ingredients' and rice powder and make it into semi - thick dough and divide it into small balls.
Making of Ada or rice dumplings
- Take the plastic cover and apply oil on it.
- Place a small rice balls into the sheet and flatten it thinly with your palm.
- Add 1 tbsp prawns masala on one end of dough and close the other end and seal it. It can be made either moon shape or cylinderical shape.Continue the step till done.
- Make a semi-thick paste of ingredients mentioned in ' for coating of dough' with water and dip the Adas in this paste.
- Place the Adas in the steamer and steam it for about 10 mins or till done
Frying of Adas
- .Heat the pan,pour some oil and shallow fry the adas at medium heat till light brown.
- Place it on a plate with kitchen towel.Serve warm.