I am sharing a recipe of easy and delicious Egyptian baked dessert, Umm Ali...It can be called Egyptian version of baked bread pudding..It is said that this dessert is invented by the lady 'Umm Ali' which means 'Mother of Ali' in Arabic..The story behind the invention of this dessert is quite interesting..Do read the article here and here...
There are many methods of making Umm Ali..Baked puff sheet is commonly used as a base of this dessert..Some may also use phyllo sheet ( thin sheet used for making Arabic sweet like baklava) or croissant as a base of this pudding..It is combined with lots of whatever dry fruits or nuts available like raisins, pine nuts, pistachios or almonds and sometimes coconut flakes or desiccated coconut is also used in between..Finally milk with sugar and half of thick cream is combined together and poured on top..Then it is baked in the oven till top part turns brown colour..
I researched this recipe in google and I understood that there is no specific method...One can combine the ingredients according to their desire and bake it in oven till top part turns brown crust...I am sharing my version of this dessert..I made this 1 week ago for Friday's lunch..Everyone loved this dessert very much..I made this dessert previous night for serving next day's ( Friday) lunch..I served it cold.. I think this dessert tastes more delicious if served warm..Okay, Let us go to the recipe :)
- Puff pastry - 8 to 10 squares ( thawed)
- Full fat milk - 2 1/2 cup
- Heavy cream ( Whipping cream) - 1 1/4 cup
- Sugar - 2 to 3 tbsp ( according to your sweetness)
- Any chopped nuts of your choice - as required ( I used pistachios,almonds and cashews)
- Raisins - as required ( optional)
- Desiccated coconut - as required for sprinkling
- Butter - needed for greasing
- Thaw the puff pastry at room temperature for 1/2 to 1 hr.
- Grease the baking dishing with butter and place the puff sheets on it and brush butter on top of puff sheet..Bake it according to the packet instruction for about 10 to 15 mins at preheated oven 200 degree C depending upon your oven..Bake till puff pastry turns brown in colour..
- When it cools down,take out the puff sheets and tear into pieces..
- Again grease the baking dish with butter and place torn puff sheets on bottom..
- Sprinkle nuts,raisins (optional) and desiccated coconut lavishly..Mix puff pastry and nuts together and keep aside..
- In a saucepan, heat milk and sugar in a medium flame till dissolved..Turn the flame to lowest,add heavy cream and heat till slightly boils..While adding heavy cream, do not heat at high flame and boil too much as cream will curdle...We want the milk-cream mixture to get boiled slightly..Taste and add little more sugar as needed..
- Pour the boiled milk-heavy cream mixture on top of puff pasty and sprinkle little desiccated coconut again on top.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degree C..Reduce the temperature to 180 degree C and bake for 20 to 25 mins till milk thickens and form brown on top..
- Set aside to cool slightly..Enjoy warm or cold as you wish..
- Instead of puff pastry, you can use croissant or phyllo pastry..
- You can serve it with whipping cream on top..But, I like to have it plain..
- You can use the nuts and dry fruits whatever is available..Make sure to add lavishly..
- This recipe is suitable for those who have oven..I am not sure this dessert will get right consistency when cooked on stove top..