Recipe Courtesy : Adapted from my cookbook, 'Malabar Chef
- Basmati Rice - 3 1/2 Cups ( Soak the rice for 10 mins and drain)
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Water - 4 cup
- Salt - required
- Saffron - one pinch
- Bay leaf - 1 no.
- Cloves - 6 no.s
- Cinnamon - 1 small piece
- Cardamom - 5 no.s
- Star Anise - 1 no.
- Onion sliced- 1 no.
- Veg Oil - 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves chopped - 1 tbsp
- Butter/Ghee - 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts - 2 tsp
- Almonds - 2 tsp
- Walnuts - 3 tsp
- Onion,thinly sliced - 1 large
For Chicken Masala
- Boneless Chicken - 500 gm
- Onion sliced - 2 large no.s
- Ginger paste - 1 1/2 tsp for marination + 1 1/2 tsp for masala
- Garlic paste - 1 1/2 tsp for marination + 1 1/2 tsp for masala
- Green Chilli paste - 1 1/2 tsp for marination + 1 1/2 tsp for masala
- Salt - to taste
- Lemon juice - 2 tbsp
- Yogurt - 2 1/2 tbsp
- White Pepper powder - 2 tbsp
For Chicken masala
- Wash and drain the chicken and keep aside..Marinate the chicken with 1 1/2 tsp ginger,garlic and green chilli paste and rest of the ingredients as mentioned in 'For Chicken Masala' and marinate for 20 mins.
- Heat a fry pan, add vegetable oil,when heated add sliced onion sprinkled with salt and saute till translucent and add remaining ginger,garlic and chilli paste and saute till raw smell disappears..
- Add marinated chicken and salt and mix well..Close the lid and cook in a low flame for 15 to 20 mins till water oozes out..Don't add extra water..Off the flame and set aside..
- Add one pinch saffron strand in 1/2 cup milk and set aside for few mins..
- In a medium size non stick wide pan,add ghee/butter, when heated add almonds,cashew nuts,walnuts and raisins and saute in a low flame till light brown..Drain and keep aside..
- In a same pan, add thinly sliced onion sprinkled with salt and saute till light brown..Drain and keep aside..
- Add 1 tsp veg oil,when heated, add all the whole spices mentioned from 'bay leaf' till 'star anise' and saute it..Add sliced onion and saute till translucent..
- Add saffron soaked milk and 4 cup water and wait till it comes to boil..
- Add desired salt and few drops of lemon juice ( to prevent sticking rice to each other) and mix well..
- Add drained rice and close the lid and cook the rice at medium flame..
- When the water is about to evaporate,add chicken masala and turn the rice slowly..
- Add chopped coriander,garnish few caramelized onion and nuts and cook in a low flame for about 10 mins..
- Mix the rice and transfer it into serving dish..Decorate remaining caramelized onion and nuts on top of it..
- Serve warm..Have it with a pickle, pappad or raita of your choice
- If you don't have saffron, don't worry..You can add pinch of turmeric powder in a boiling water before adding rice..