Hi readers..I am sharing a recipe of Indian sweet called burfi or milk fudge..There are many varieties of sweets like peda, burfi etc..I am introducing a special burfi which consists of two layer i.e plain and chocolate burfi..Sweets are available in most of the Indian bakery or sweet shops,but most of them might be expensive ..I am bit reluctant to try sweets at home because of the amount of ghee used..Hope ghee used in this sweets might be less..If you think it is more,never mind you can make this once in a while and have it in a small quantity..There is nothing wrong in it..Home made sweets always tastes delicious..Those who are health freak or having diabetes or cholesterol, this recipe is not for you..I got this recipe from you tube..I didn't know that making this sweet is so easy and tastes much better than store bought one..This sweets is made using milk powder..I have all the ingredients in my pantry, I am so excited and makes right away..Do try this yummy sweet..Lets go to the recipe
For Plain layer
For Plain layer
- Butter or Ghee ( Clarified Butter ) unsalted - 1/4 cup
- Milk powder - 1 cup
- Powdered sugar - 1/2 cup
- Milk - 1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder - a pinch
For Chocolate layer
- Butter or Ghee ( Clarified Butter ) unsalted - 2 tbsp
- Milk powder - 1/2 cup
- Powdered sugar - 1/4 cup
- Cocoa powder - 2 tbsp
- Milk - 2 tbsp
- Cashew nut - for garnishing ( optional, I didn't use it)
- Lets make plain burfi first: In a non-stick pan, heat butter or ghee in a low flame and melt it..
- Add milk powder and roast in ghee..Do not roast at high flame else milk powder will get burn..
- Add milk and powdered sugar and stir well at a low flame for about 4 to 5 mins till mixture leaves sides of the pan..
- Add cardamom powder and mix well..
- Pour this mixture over a ghee greased dish and level it with a back of a ghee greased spoon.Set aside.
- For Chocolate burfi: In a same non stick pan,add all the ingredients from ghee till cocoa powder and saute it in a low flame till the mixture leaves sides of the pan..This step is same as plain burfi..
- Pour the chocolate batter over the plain batter and level it with a back of a ghee greased spoon..
- You will get 2 layer..Refrigerate for about 2 to 3 hrs..
- Cut into square or diamond shape and decorate cashew nut on top ( if using) and enjoy.
- Always use good quality milk powder while making sweets..
- Instead of cocoa powder you can use saffron mixed with milk,it becomes saffron-plain burfi or you can use pistachio paste too,it becomes pistachio-plain burfi.
- This burfi may be soft at beginning..Better eat next day,so all ghee and sugar will absorb and it will turn slight crisp..It tastes too delicious..