Today I am sharing a post of my birthday cake,Orange Chiffon Cake,which happened on March 7...I baked this cake a day before my birthday,as requested by my sister..Its long since I wished to make this cake,which is adapted from Martha Stewart's recipe..But I reduced the quantity of some of the ingredient according to my family's taste...Chiffon cake differs from other cake..Most of the cake suggest beating both egg yolk and egg white together..But in Chiffon cake,egg yolks and whites are beaten seperately..Egg white is beaten till it foamy and stiff peak called meringue and combined in a batter slowly without disturbing the whites..This is one that makes a cake entirely different in texture..Compared to other cake,this cake used vegetable oil instead of butter..As a name suggests,this cake has a flavour of fresh orange juice..Its texture is so light and soft like sponge and tastes super delicious..This is one of the best cake I ever made...I like to eat this cake warm straight from my oven..I didn't do any frosting on cake as I like to have it plain..My family love this cake very much...Sadly,my hubby is not here to taste this cake as he went to short vacation for few days..Though he is not very much fond of cakes and other sweet stuff,but he likes plain cake very much..I promised to make again when he come here..Lets move to the recipe
Recipe Courtesy: Martha Stewart
- Egg Whites and Egg Yolk - 4 no.s** ( Original recipe says to add 6 eggs,but I reduced to 4 no.s)
- All Purpose Flour - 2 cup
- Baking powder - 1 1/4 tsp ( Original recipe says to add 4 tsp,but I reduced it)
- Baking soda - 1/4 tsp ( If not using cream of tartar)
- Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
- Powdered Sugar - 1 1/2 cup ( divided)
- Vegetable Oil - 1/2 cup
- Orange Zest ( Grated Orange Peel) - 2 tbsp**
- Fresh Orange Juice squeezed from 2 large Onions - 1/2 cup
- Cold water - 1/4 cup
- Cream of Tartar - 1/4 tsp ( optional)** ( If not using baking soda)
- Salt - a pinch
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree C..Grease the bundt pan or tube pan and set aside..
- In a bowl, mix together flour,baking powder,baking soda ( if not using cream of tartar) and salt and mix well..keep aside..
- In a clean bowl,beat egg whites till foamy( see notes)..Add half cup sugar and beat well till soft peak forms...Finally add cream of tartar( if using) and beat till stiff peak forms..Keep aside..
- Wash the oranges well and grate the orange skin without white skin as it may taste bitter..Squeeze the orange juice and strain it..Keep aside ( See notes)
- In another bowl, add egg yolk,veg oil,remaining sugar and vanilla essence and beat at medium speed..
- Add grated orange peel ( see notes) ,cold water and fresh orange juice and beat again..
- Add flour mixture and beat at low speed till combined..
- Finally add egg whites and fold slowly with a spatula in a clock wise direction..Do not over beat the batter..Never mind if small traces of egg whites are seen..
- Pour this batter in a greased tube pan and bake for about 45 to 50 mins till fork or tooth pick inserted comes out clean..Original recipe says to bake for 50 to 55 mins but mine baked for about 45 mins..Each oven differs, so better check after 45 mins..
- Keep this in a wire rack for few minutes and de mold it..
- Allow to cool completely and slice it..Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee
- Separate egg whites and yolk when cold as it is the easier to do so...
- Make sure all the ingredients which are refrigerated must keep at room temperature at least 30 mins before baking cake.
- Make sure a bowl and beater blades used for beating egg whites should be completely wet and there should not be any moisture in it, as it will not form peaks..
- Cream of Tartar is added for stabilising ( stiff peaks) egg whites and helps to increase in volume while beating..It looks glossy as shown in picture above..It is a optional ingredient.
- If using cream of tartar ignore adding baking soda as it already has baking soda in it (Google information)..If not using cream of tartar,add 1/4 tsp baking soda into flour mixture...
- While grating orange peel,make sure no white skin appear on peel,other wise cake will taste bitter..
- Squeeze orange juice at the time of making cake batter..Do not keep it for so long as it may taste bitter and it may affect the taste of cake.
- Unlike other cake, this cake is too soft and remains same softness for few days..
- Store the cake in a airtight container for 3 days or refrigerate for 1 week..But mine vanished 2 days itself :)