Today, I am posting a easy and yummy dessert with the goodness of coconut i.e Tender Coconut
( young coconut) Pudding..It can be also Kerala pudding, as Kerala, a state in India, has plenty of coconut trees..So most of the dishes contains coconut including desserts too..I am sharing one of the dessert which is rich in coconut..
This pudding is common in parties and gatherings..I made this pudding last friday,accompanied by fried chicken biryani..Every one loved this pudding very much..My kid too love it..It vanished one day itself, I am very much surprised..Mostly,remaining pudding used to stay in refrigerator for 3 to 4 days..I am glad that it finished so quickly :)..I am not making this pudding for first time..I made many times,but could not post it due to lack of time...Every time I made this pudding,it is hit among my family and friends..In Kerala,we got lots of tender coconut..But rarely we get tender coconut here in Dubai..When I used to purchase ,sometimes I don't get tender coconut pulp ( white flesh inside the tender coconut)..But there is lots of water,which is indeed sweet and yummy..This is really a thirst quencher and act as a glucose too..When I am pregnant 4 yrs before,second month onwards I feel nausea..When I drink its water, its such a relieve for me :)...
I purchased two tender coconut..Luckily, there is pulp in both the tender coconut...I am so excited, I starts to make pudding straight away..I am posting recipe with step by step photos, as I promised earlier..Its for the beginners who have the trouble in melting china grass or Agar agar strands ( a setting agent used in pudding)..I am sure,those who love the taste of coconut will surely love this pudding..If tender coconut is not available in your area, do make it with coconut milk..Will share its recipe later..Do make this pudding..I am sure it will be hit among your family members...Off to the recipe.
- Milk - 400 ml ( 2 cups)
- Sweetened condensed milk - 200 gm ( 1/2 of one tin)
- Sugar - 5 to 6 tbsp ( adjust according to your sweetness)
- China grass / Agar agar strands - 10 gm
- Tender coconut water - 1 cup
- Tender coconut pulp - scooped from 2 tender coconuts
- Thick coconut milk - 1/4 cup *
- Grated coconut - 5 to 6 tbsp
- Sugar - 1 tbsp
- Chopped nuts of your choice - 2 to 3 tbsp
- Ghee - 1 1/2 tsp
- Soak china grass in one cup of tender coconut water for 15 mins..This is done to melt easier..
2. In a sauce pan,add together milk,condensed milk and sugar and stir well..Then switch on the flame and boil at a low flame..Stir in between to avoid getting burn at bottom of pan..No need to wait for the bubbles to appear...( I forgot to take pic of sugar below)
4. At same time, switch off the flame of milk-condensed milk mixture too..Pour melted china grass immediately through sieve into milk-condensed milk as shown in pic below...So if there is any tiny strands, it will settle on top..Make sure to press the sieve with spoon..Pour melted china grass liquid immediately while hot, otherwise when it cools,it will form back into solid form,which will be difficult to mix..Stir well and set aside to cool slightly..
5. Meanwhile,blend tender coconut pulp into paste..No need to make into smooth paste,just leave few traces of pulp as shown in the pic..
Add thick coconut milk into milk mixture and stir again..Make sure to add coconut milk when it cools slightly, otherwise coconut milk will curden...Taste and add extra sugar if needed...
7. Pour this mixture into wet glass rectangle dish or any baking dish..Make sure to cool completely..Keep this in a refrigerator for 1 hr or keep it in freezer for 10 mins till half set( This is done for decoration purpose ,if you don't like to decorate,ignore this step and proceed to step 10 )
8. Meanwhile,make the topping required for pudding...Heat fry pan, add ghee,when it is hot add grated coconut and saute well in a ghee for few seconds...Add sugar and mix well..Then add chopped nuts and mix well..Increase the flame, and saute well till coconut is about to change colour to brown..Immediately lower the flame and saute well till coconut turn golden brown..Be careful of the flame,otherwise coconut will get burnt..
9. Transfer this into plate and set aside to cool..
10.Take out the pudding from freezer and decorate the pudding with roasted coconut and nuts on top as shown in pic...Cover this with cling film or plastic wrap and place at the bottom of refrigerator for 6 hrs or overnight..If you are in a hurry place the pudding in a freezer for 1 hr and then transfer it into fridge for l hr...
11. Cut into square shapes and enjoy...
- Use same cup for measuring milk and tender coconut water...But, I use measuring cup..
- Coconut milk gives nice flavour to this pudding..For making thick coconut milk: Blend 5 tbsp of grated coconut with 3/4 cup of water..Pour into the strainer and squeeze it..you will get 1/4 cup of thick coconut milk..
- Decorating pudding with roasted coconut and nuts is optional..You can ignore if you don't like..It not only looks good,but tastes delicious too..But make sure,don't add too much roasted coconut..Always decorate the top of pudding when it is half set, otherwise it will sink on bottom..
- Don't add too much condensed milk other than mentioned quantity..It destroys the original flavour of pudding..
- Having small bites of tender coconut flesh or pulp makes pudding delicious, so it is better not to blend it into smooth paste..